Morocco... the journey of your dreams
French
TripAdvisor
Twitter
Facebook
Secure payment
 

Type : Southern kasbah
Name :Taliouine kasbah
Construction date: around 1867
Location: Taliouine Zagmouzen valley

Kasbahs were the feudal residence of powerful berber dynasties and the caids' homesteads in between military expeditions. The most renowned and numerous are the kasbahs of Thami El Glaoui (1878-1956), called "the Glaoui", last pacha of Marakesh.

The construction of Taliouine kasbah began during the second half of the 19th century. In 1947, "the Glaoui" invaded the Souktana region and seized its properties. He then built the kasbah that we can see today to house the local administration, under his vicars' command.

The choice of a kasbah's location was dictated by its natural defensive advantage. Indeed, it overlooks most of Zagmuzen valley of which it controls its ins and outs, and allowed the colonial administration to have solid control over the rebellious tribes.

After the independence in 1959, the kasbah's main pavilion became, for a few years, an annex of the Muslim Institute of Taroudant.
Taliouine kasbah consists in a group of homes and a monumental part in its North East corner. This monument has a square shape, flanked by four corner towers, overlooking the rampart walls.

The kasbah was built with adobe (rammed earth), on stone foundation that also served to construct the top. Stone was also used to shape the embossed adornment and build up the arcades.
The walls are covered with a coat of earth and lime more or less smoothed to resist rain for some time.
Wood shapes the lintels and the ceilings.
Walls and towers are crowned by a tile border topped by merlons.
The main decorative material is raw brick placed in a sawtooth pattern on top of the walls.